Cabernet Sauvignon is a hybrid offspring of Cabernet Franc and Sauvignon Blanc and is one of the five classic Bordeaux grapes (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Malbec, Petit Verdot). Cabernet Sauvignon often displays dark fruit flavors (black currant, blackberry, black cherry) complimented with herb and spice flavors.
Cabernet Sauvignon’s thick skin contributes to rich, complex, full-bodied, tannic wines that are capable of long-term bottle aging. The strong tannins, which are often evident in young Cabernets, soften with aging and contribute to the wine’s increased complexity. Cabernet Sauvignon grown in excessively warm regions result in high sugar and alcohol levels and low acid levels. While these wines can exhibit concentrated and complex flavors, the low acid levels can also result in flabby wines that are not suitable for aging.
There has been a recent trend towards creating fruit-forward, low tannin Cabernet Sauvignon that can be consumed immediately without cellar aging. Some of these wines are exceptional but many sacrifice complexity and structure for easy drinking suppleness.
Within the U.S., California and Washington are the undisputed Cabernet Sauvignon leaders. Oregon has also seen significant success, and Colorado, New York, Virginia, Texas, and Idaho are emerging Cabernet Sauvignon regions.
Cabernet Sauvignon Articles:
- Wine Lover's Calendar 2017 by Jim Finley - February 13, 2017
- Understanding Napa Cabernet - January 25, 2017 at WineFolly
- Alexander Valley and Napa Valley Cabernet Pt. 2 - May 18, 2015 at Steve Heimoff
- Alexander Valley and Napa Valley Cabernet - May 15, 2015 at Steve Heimoff
- Alexander Valley and Napa Valley Cabernet: A study in contrasts - April 02, 2015 at SteveHeimoff.com
- California Cabernet Sauvignon: Wines in “crisis”, or just best enjoyed young? - November 20, 2014 at Steve Heimoff
- The return of California Cabernet - August 06, 2014 at SFGate.com
- Paso Robles – cab country? - July 10, 2014 at Napa Valley Register
- What's Happening in Paso Robles - June 19, 2014 at winereviewonline.com
- Napa Cabernets From a Cold, Wet Year - April 14, 2014 at The New York Times
- In a West Coast Cab smackdown, Horse Heaven Hills holds its own - April 01, 2014 at Great Northwest Wine
- Napa mountain vs valley floor - December 09, 2013 at Rot. by Adam Lechmere
- Cabernet Passion in Paso with Daou Vineyards - October 02, 2013 at Wine Spectator
- Dissecting Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon - April 12, 2013 at Wine Enthusiast Magazine
- Paso Robles Cabernet: a new age - April 11, 2013 at Steve Heimoff Wine Blog
- Why Cab is king in Washington wine country - April 07, 2013 at Great Northwest Wine
- Uncorking Napa’s History - September 11, 2012 at Food & Wine
- Cabernet in Napa by Kris Chislett - August 28, 2012
- Randy Dunn's Cabernet crusade - August 27, 2012 at San Francisco Chronicle
- Santa Cruz Mountains Wines' Dual Inspirations - August 25, 2012 at San Francisco Chronicle